Are you looking to master your musical techniques under famous concert performers?
MEET OUR MASTERCLASS TEACHERS
WHAT IS A MASTERCLASS?
A masterclass specially in music is a class for students to take their music learning to the next level by learning from a master musician. LVL Music Academy’s master classes are 1-to-1 and are usually held weekly.
LVL Music Academy is proud to have teamed up with some of the most accomplished musicians in Singapore and around the world. These musicians are joining us to bring you in-depth classes that will expand your boundaries and improve your knowledge as a musician.
Our master classes are provided for students, and give an insight into the discipline of professional, accomplished musicians. Different musicians may provide a masterclass in a certain area in which they excel, such as a certain style of playing.
Often, a masterclass is aimed at someone who already knows some of the language and has some ability. Intermediate players tend to get a lot out of them, but beginners can pick things up from the pros, too.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN IN A MUSIC MASTER CLASS?
Each master class will focus on a new and specific area to help you to grow as a musician. This gives you a way to learn from the best. Draw on years of experience and pick out tips and techniques you may have otherwise struggled with.
Through the class you will learn a lot of nuanced information about different instruments. Some of the instruments included in our masterclasses are: Violin, Cello, Viola and Piano.
You will learn how to use your ears to pick out notes such as sharp and flat notes. You will also learn how to focus in on fine details of the tone and sound qualities of the instrument such as the attack and sound envelope as well as the tone, and the phrasing.
By the end of a master class, the student can exercise more control of basic elements like the rhythm and pitch of their own instrument.
The difference between a normal class and a master class
The main difference between a master class and a normal class is the way the classes are conducted. You can learn more about our music classes here.
- In a master class the teacher is a master of his discipline. He or She is notable for his performance and playing capabilities.
- The class set up may have other students to watch how the master give advice to one student at a time on how to properly interpret the piece. For example, the anecdotes of the composer, demonstrate on how to play certain passages, admonitions of technical errors. Our masterclasses are privately conducted, meaning one master to one student also known as 1-to-1 master class.
- Comments – the student is expected to play the entire phrase of the score in the same session after the master have commented on the points that need to be corrected.
- The student is expected to have full control over his or her own basic elements such as rhythm and pitch.
- Master teacher to give concrete and critical feedback for student to fully understand how to play a certain phrase using the right technique which in turn can be used for other music sheets.
Draw on Experience
You will also be able to tap into musicians’ experience of playing live or competitively. Conquer your nerves with the tools that the professional musicians use. Learn how they remain calm and get over the nervous feeling before a show or examination. Being calm and collected can easily enhance your performance ability.
Explore Your Current (and New) Repertoire
Work On Common “Masterclass” Pieces
Certain pieces of music come up time and time again. They have become known among musical communities. They are fantastic for expanding your skills and learning the next set of skills you need as a musician to “up your game”. For example, a beginner may learn Beethoven’s “Ode to Joy”, whereas “Canon in D” by Johann Pachelbel is a popular piece for more advanced players.
Connecting to an expert means that you not only have a musician to act as a mentor, but that their many years of experience can provide you with a new and reinvigorated look at an instrument. In order to become the best, you need to surround yourself with the best.
Who Are Master Classes For?
Who wouldn’t want to learn from a master musician? Even other world-class musicians can learn from one another. Whether you are a beginner, looking for an insight into what it takes to be professional, or you are an intermediate looking to get to the next step, a masterclass can be ideal.
The idea of a master class is all about learning from a master of a certain discipline, and you can do this no matter what your existing level of skill is.
LVL Music Academy is really delighted to be able to bring you new and exciting music master classes working with top musicians. Keep an eye out for new masterclasses being added with some incredible and talented musicians.
The benefits you get from a music masterclass
Here are some of the lesson categories:
- Intonation – the accuracy of pitch, is a note sharp or flat? Is your instrument properly tuned?
- Vibrato – subtle pitch modulation to add expression to your instrument and performance.
- Sound vs tone – tone refers to one individual note, for example, whereas sound can be the overall sound of a piece of music.
- Practice regimens – what are the best ways to practice in order to break bad habits as a new musician?
- Memory techniques – ways to remember different pieces of music, memorize passages and keep thousands of notes stored in your brain to recall for a performance.
- Overcoming anxiety – getting to the point where you can perform in front of an audience with no nerves.
- Bowing techniques – some advanced bow techniques can help you to reach the next level of your performance and unlock new sounds.
- The performer’s mindset – how you can adjust your mindset for an elite performance mindset. How do top musicians approach their craft?
- Selecting your instrument – how to choose an instrument to complement your playing style and the ambition you have as a musician.
- Musical careers – what career options can you look at when you are growing as a musician?